Twenty-eighth in a series of biographical sketches whose descendants belong to the First Mississippi Company; in honor of the 400th anniversary of the July 30, 1619, meeting of the first representative governmental body in America at the 1617 Church on Jamestown Island
Edward Dale (--d. 1694) was a loyalist who emigrated to Virginia after the death of King Charles I of England. Dale settled on the north side of the Rappahannock River in Lancaster County in 1655 and served as clerk of the county for nineteen years, justice of the county court for fourteen years, high sheriff for four years, and as a member of the Houses of Burgesses for two years.
Dale represented Lancaster County as a member of a committee that laid a levy on the citizens of the Northern Neck to raise forces for the suppression of Bacon’s rebellion. He acquired 3,400 acres in Lancaster County but did little farming, as he represented himself as a “Gentleman” in his deeds and other papers.
Dale’s wife was Diana, daughter of Sir Henry Skipwith and his wife Amy, from Leicestershire, England. Edward and Diana Dale had two daughters: Katherine, who married Thomas Carter of Lancaster County; and, Elizabeth who married Williams Rodgers.
Major Edward Dale wrote his will 4 Aug 1694, leaving his daughter Elizabeth Rodgers twelve pounds with no claim on his estate. His wife Diana received the profit of his entire estate during her lifetime. His grandchildren from his daughter Katherine Carter (Peter, Joseph, Elizabeth, and Catherine) were to receive the residue of his estate divided equally after Peter and Joseph received equal portions of his home plantation. Dale’s will was probated 16 Mar 1695. Dale’s original will and other papers disappeared from the clerk’s office at Lancaster Court House; but his son-in-law Thomas Carter sealed his will in 1700 with a seal bearing the crest of the Dales of Northampton and London. This authenticity of this seal proves that the will is that of Edward Dale.
A three-quarter length portrait of Edward Dale handed down in the Carter family was in Chicago at the end of the Civil War in the possession of Colonial Thomas Carter, but was lost in the great Chicago fire. A copy of this portrait is owned by Dr. Joseph Lyon Miller of Thomas, West Virginia. The portrait shows the powdered-wig Dale as a portly brown-eyed gentleman dressed in a black velvet coat with a red waistcoat and cream-colored satin breeches.
Dale held strong opinions and frequently was the only dissenting voice from the rulings of the other Justices of the Lancaster County Court. He is also known for transgressing from the Virginia law of hospitality: when a traveling stranger was invited to dine with Dale, the stranger offered a long puritanical prayer at dinner asking blessings for Oliver Cromwell and curses for King Charles II. Dale ordered the man from his home and told him to find dinner elsewhere.
First Mississippi Company Descendant of Edward Dale: Charles David Hill
Twenty-seventh in a series of biographical sketches whose descendants belong to the First Mississippi Company; in honor of the 400th anniversary of the July 30, 1619, meeting of the first representative governmental body in America at the 1617 Church on Jamestown Island
Henry Soane II (1622-1661) is believed to have been born 17 Nov 1622 in Brighton, Sussex, England. He was the son of Henry Soane I and Elizabeth Worger. Henry Soan II married Judith Fuller, born 17 Nov 1620 in East Sussex England. He emigrated with her and their children to Virginia around 1651. They had six children: Elizabeth Soane Peterson, Judith Soane Field, Captain Henry Soane III, Katherine, John, and one other. Through his daughter Judith Field, Henry Soane II became the great, great grandfather of President Thomas Jefferson.
Henry was a Virginia politician and land owner. He lived on Hoggs Island, in Accomack County and settled in James City County along the Chickahominy River. In November 1653, Henry Soane received a patent for 297 acres in James City County on Hoggs Island for transporting six persons: himself, Henry Soane, Jr., Judith Soane, John Soane and Eliza. Altogether, Soane acquired 8500 acres of land in Virginia, mostly for transporting 56 more people to the colony. In 1655, he received permission to employ two Indians.
He served in the House of Burgesses from 1652-1654 and from 1658-1661. He was Speaker of the House of Burgesses in 1661.
First Mississippi Company Descendant of Henry Soane II: Charles David Hill
Twenty-sixth in a series of biographical sketches whose descendants belong to the First Mississippi Company; in honor of the 400th anniversary of the July 30, 1619, meeting of the first representative governmental body in America at the 1617 Church on Jamestown Island
Born in Henrico County about 1647, Peter Field married Judith Soane Randolph, the widow of Henry Randolph, on 21 Oct 1678 in Charles City County, VA. Judith, born about 1646 in England, was the daughter of Henry Soane II and Judith Fuller who emigrated to Virginia about 1651.
Peter named his home in Henrico County Curtis Plantation, located on the James River. According to the 1678 levy, he was assessed with seven tithables. The children of Peter and Judith Soane Field were Mary Field Jefferson (1679-1715) and Martha Field Archer (1680/81-1776). Peter became the Justice of the Peace in Henrico County (1683-85, 1688, 1691, 1692, 1695, 1696, 1699, 1704, 1705) and also served as a major in the colonial militia, as the High Sheriff of Henrico in 1682, and as a Burgess from Henrico in 1688 and 1693.
Peter was the guardian of Henry Randolph II, child born to Henry Randolph I and Judith Soane Randolph, now wife of Peter Field. On 1 Apr 1681, Peter Field entered into a law suit with Robert Marr and Evan Bellenger concerning land boundaries as the guardian of Henry Randolph II.
In a letter dated 1 Aug 1694, Peter refers to William Soane has his “brother,” meaning brother-in-law. Peter Field moved to New Kent County shortly before he died, where his death was recorded as 24 July 1707 in the New Kent Parish Register with his burial on 29 July.
On 1 Mar 1708/09 there is a deed recorded from Thomas Jefferson and his wife Mary, daughter of Major Peter Field, late of New Kent. And in August 1711, there is a deed from John Archer and Martha, his wife, to William Randolph for 961 acres left to Martha by the will of Peter Field, gentleman.
First Mississippi Company Descendant of Peter Field: Charles David Hill
Richard Cocke (1597-1665) was born at Pickthorn, Stottesdon, Shropshire, England and was in Virginia by 24 Dec 1627. On this date, Cocke appeared in court in Jamestown where he testified as the purser of the Thomas and John that four of Mr. Sharples’s men had run away while being transported to Virginia. He appeared in court again on 10 Feb 1629 as the attorney for Patrick Canada, who was seeking ownership of Thomas Hunter’s estate.
Although by 1632 Cocke had married the widow (1) Temperance Bailey Browne, Cocke had to pay a fee of 6,397 pounds of tobacco to settle Browne’s estate. Temperance Baley [Bailey], the mother of Browne’s two daughters Mary and Margaret, was born in VA in 1617 and is listed on the Muster of 1624/25 as a member of Cecily Jordan’s household in Jordan’s Jordan. Cecily Jordan, identified as an ancient planter in a 1620 patent, is thought to be Temperance’s mother by an early marriage to a man named Bailey. The two sons of Temperance and Richard Cocke were Thomas and Richard, who later became known as Richard the Elder.
After Temperance’s death, Richard Cocke married (2) Mary Aston, daughter of Walter Aston; the couple had another son named Richard (known as Richard the Younger), Elizabeth, John, William, and Edward.
Richard Cocke became an important figure in VA, acquiring 10,916 acres of land, principally in Henrico County but also in Surry County where he first lived in the 1630s. He named his three homes Bremo, Curles, and Malvern Hill. He also served as a Burgess, first in 1632 representing Weyanoke and then Henrico from 1644 to 1654. He was a Colonel of the local militia and a court justice.
Among Cocke’s prominent descendants are Robert E. Lee, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, George H. W. Bush, and George W. Bush.
First Mississippi Company Descendant of Richard Cocke: Charles David Hill
Twenty-fourth in a series of biographical sketches whose descendants belong to the First Mississippi Company; in honor of the 400th anniversary of the July 30, 1619, meeting of the first representative governmental body in America at the 1617 Church on Jamestown Island
Thomas Harris (1586-c. 1649) Henrico County, VA
Thomas Harris, an ancient planter and inhabitant of Virginia listed on the 1624-25 Muster, arrived on the Prosperous in May 1611 with a group brought by Sir Thomas Dale to establish a settlement in Henricus. On 18 Nov 1618, Harris was granted 100 acres as an Ancient Planter at Neck of Land and is listed in the Muster at Charles City as age 38 with his first wife Adria (Hoare), age 23.
Thomas Harris and Adria were married in Virginia, as she had come to America in 1621 on the Marmaduke. Thomas acquired another 650 acres of land for the transportation of 13 persons to the colony and another 400 acres by inheritance. Harris also acquired the 700 acres known as Longfield that belonged to his neighbors, Edward and Ann Gurganey, when Ann Gurganey bequeathed the land to Harris in her 1619/20 will; this land was patented in his name in 1637.
Harris was elected as a Burgess for Neck of Land in 1624 and for Henrico in 1640, 1647-48. He also served as a Commissioner for the “Upper Parts,” land which included Henrico, and as the Commander of Henrico County. After the death of his wife Adria, he married the widow of William Vincent, Joane, who was five years his senior. The only children of Thomas Harris were by his first wife Adria: Mary and William. Mary married Thomas Ligon, and William inherited Longfield in his father’s will, made about 1649 but now lost.
Thomas Ligon (1623/4-1675/76) Henrico County, VA
Thomas Ligon, the eldest son of Thomas Ligon (c. 1577-1626) and Elizabeth Pratt (1602-1631) was baptized at Walsgrave-on-Sowe, Warwickshire 11 Jan 1623/4. He immigrated to Virginia in the 1640s and settled at Henrico County. He married Mary Harris, daughter of Captain Thomas Harris, of Henrico County before 1649. Mary stated in a deposition given in 1684 that she was 64 years of age, making her birth year about 1620. The couple had five sons: Thomas, William, Richard, Matthew, and Hugh; and two daughters: Johan (wife of Robert Hancock) and Mary.
Thomas, the immigrant, served as a member of the House of Burgesses for Henrico in 1656, was a lieutenant colonel in the militia, and was a surveyor of Henrico County until his death in 1675/76. Lt. Colonel Thomas Ligon left a will (now lost), dated 10 Jan 1675/76 and proved 16 March 1675/76, in Henrico County, Virginia. His widow Mary Harris Ligon gave her brother the “whole profits of the surveyor’s place” by an agreement recorded 1 Nov 1679 until her eldest son should become of age. In Mary Ligon’s will, dated 18 April 1702/3 and proved 1 Feb. 1703/4 in Henrico County, she left sons Richard Ligon and Hugh Ligon 200 acres lying in Curles, Henrico County, being part of the land given to her by her father, Captain Thomas Harris.
First Mississippi Company descendant of Thomas Ligon and Thomas Harris: Charles Hill
Neither the parents nor the birthplace of Colonel James Wilson is known, but it is believed the family came from England or Scotland to Virginia about 1650, first to Jamestowne and then to Norfolk County. Col. James Wilson was born about 1648 and married Elizabeth, who may have been the daughter of John Willis. His first land purchase was likely 300 acres in Norfolk County, bought in 1672 from his brother, Col. William Wilson (1646-1713), who served as a Burgess from Elizabeth City County from 1684-1695 and 1700-1702. William also served as a justice and sheriff of that county.
Col. James Wilson was a justice in Norfolk County in 1693 and Presiding Justice by 1710 until his death in 1712. He was sheriff, 1695-1697. In 1699 he was a major in the Norfolk County militia and by 1702 had been promoted to colonel. He served in the House of Burgesses in 1698, 1702-05 and 1710-12. In 1701 he served as the Crown Feofee (Trustee) for the sale of lands in Norfolk. He was listed in the 1704 quit rent rolls as holding 2800 acres. He also served as the churchwarden of Elizabeth River Parish. His will was dated 12 Nov 1712 and probated 19 Dec 1712.
The ten children of Colonel James Wilson and his wife Elizabeth are as follows: (1) Thomas (b. abt. 1669; d. bef. 15 Sep 1696), wed Isabella Burgess; they had one child, James (b. abt 1691; d. 1718), who was named in Col. James’ Will. (2) James, Jr. (b. 1671; d. bef. Feb 1756), married Prudence Butt, daughter of Thomas & Elizabeth, who had 13 children. After her death, he married Grace Phillips who died childless. He then wed Dinah Nicholson, who bore three daughters. He was a major in the militia and Norfolk County Court Justice 54 years, 1702-1756. (3) Elizabeth (b. abt. 1673; d. May 1741), married Henry Tregany, Jr., mariner of Philadelphia. (4) Lemuel (b. abt. 1675; d. 1731), married Katherine and was captain in the militia and County Court Clerk, 1699-1718. (5) John (b. abt. 1677; d. bef. 4 Jun 1728), wed Margaret and was sheriff in 1719, captain in the militia and Norfolk County Justice 1723. (6) Samuel (b. abt. 1680; d. bef. 3 Jan 1710/11), married Dinah Mason, widow of Capt. Robert Thorowgood and had one son, Willis Wilson. (7) Willis (b. abt. 1683; d. 1760), married Mary Chichester. He was executor with his mother, Elizabeth, of his father’s Will. He was a County Court Justice in 1713, sheriff in 1724 and 1732, a major in the militia and a Burgess 1718 and 1720-22. (8) Affiah (b. 1689; d. aft. 30 May 1753), married Capt. George Newton in 1706 and had nine children. (9) Solomon (b. abt. 1694; d. abt 1775), wed Tabitha Mason, and they had 5 children. He served as County Court Clerk 1718-1751 and major in the militia. (10) Mary (b. abt. 1697; d. bef. May 1772) wed Nathaniel Butt, son of Thomas & Elizabeth Butt.
First Mississippi Company Descendant of James Wilson: Admiral Thomas Gerald Lilly
Twenty-second in a series of biographical sketches on Burgesses whose descendants belong to the First Mississippi Company; in honor of the 400th anniversary of the July 30, 1619, meeting of the first representative governmental body in America at the 1617 Church on Jamestown Island.
John Washington, the great grandfather of George Washington, the first President of the United States, was the son of Reverend Lawrence Washington and born about 1631 in England; he came to Virginia in 1656.
John’s interest in importing tobacco from Virginia to England brought him to America, for he owned a one-half interest in a ship named the Sea Horse with a business partner, Edward Prescott. Their ship, loaded with tobacco bound for England, ran aground on a sandbar in the Potomac River and sank in 1657. Before it could be raised, repaired and readied to sail again, Washington had decided to stay in Virginia. However, Prescott said John owed money for half of the damages, and Nathaniel Pope, who had befriended Washington, offered him a bond in the form of beaver pelts, making Washington indebted to Pope.
Washington married Nathaniel Pope’s daughter, Anne, in 1658. When Pope died in 1660, his will cancelled Washington's debt. The 700 acres of land deeded to him when he married Anne gave him the start he needed in Virginia.
By 1660, he had carved out a large estate in Westmoreland County and served as vestryman of Appomattox Parish in 1661, Justice of the Peace in 1662, and Major of the militia in 1662. Eventually. he rose to the rank of Lt. Colonel and was elected to the House of Burgesses, serving first in 1666 and then in 1675-1676 for Westmoreland County.
By 1668 Colonel Washington was busy growing tobacco on holdings that exceeded 5,000 acres, and Anne had presented him with five children, of whom three would live to maturity. That same year Anne died and soon thereafter he married a second time to another Anne by whom he had no children. Late in 1675 his second wife died and he married for the third time Frances, the daughter of Dr. Thomas Gerard. She had previously been married to Colonel Thomas Speke, Captain John Appleton and Colonel Valentine Peyton.
During Bacon’s rebellion in the summer and fall of 1676, Washington’s estate was plundered and was temporarily seized by Bacon’s supporters.
The approximate date of his death can be determined by his attendance at a meeting about taxes in 1677. His will was admitted to probate on 26 September 1677. His estate consisted of more than 8,500 acres.
Colonel John and Anne (Pope) Washington left three surviving children: (1) Lawrence born 1659 who married 1st unknown and 2nd Mildred Warner; (2) Anne born ca. 1661 who married Francis Wright; and (3) John Jr. born ca. 1663 who married Anne Wickliffe.
First Mississippi Company Descendants of John Washington: Christopher Charles Rankin Arinder, Lannye Olivia Bridewell Arinder, Elizabeth Barrett Arinder Cooper
Adam Thorowgood was the seventh son of William Thorowgood and Anne Edwards of Norwich, England. He was baptized in 1581 at the parish church of St. Botolph’s in Grimston, Norfolk, England, where his father was the Vicar. He arrived in Virginia in 1621 at the age of eighteen on the Charles.
In 1624 he was living in Elizabeth City as an indentured servant. By December 1626 he had gained his freedom and purchased 150 acres of land in Elizabeth City as “Captain Adam Thorogood, Gent., of Kiquotan.” He rose in the ranks of society and in 1627 was named a commissioner of Elizabeth City’s court. That same year he returned to England where he married Sarah Offley, 18 July 1627, at St Anne’s Church, Blackfriars, London. Adam and his new wife returned to Virginia.
In 1628/29, Adam Thorowgood was appointed as one of the commissioners for holding monthly courts in Elizabeth City, served as burgess for Elizabeth City in 1629 and for the Lower Part of Elizabeth City in 1630-1632, and in 1637 was a member of the Council. He was also then a member of the Lower Norfolk County Court and a vestryman for Lynnhaven Parish. In addition to his public service, Adam patented an additional 400 acres in Elizabeth City County on 21 March 1634/35.
A letter dated 6 August 1634 from the Privy Council to the governor recommended Adam Thorowgood, Gent., be granted more land for special services to the colony; it was on “the Chesapeakean River to the southward of the Bay, where it may be most convenient for him.” Adam Thorowgood’s patent on 24 June 1635 for 5350 acres at Lynnhaven was in the area which became Lower Norfolk County, “due him” for the transportation of his wife Sarah and 105 persons into the colony between 1628 and 1634. Capt. Thorowgood and his family moved from the north side of Hampton Roads to Lynnhaven, where about 1634.
1635 he began construction of a brick house built on a precipice overlooking a stream. Adam’s great grandson Argall built a house on this land in 1719 that architectural historians date as the 17th oldest building in Virginia. Today Argall Thorowgood’s house, located in Virginia Beach, is a museum that pays tribute to Adam Thorowgood’s “success” in America. Adam Thorowgood is also credited with naming Norfolk, Virginia, with the name of his baptismal county in England.
Adam Thorowgood made his will on February 17, 1640 and died sometime prior to April 27, 1640, when his will was recorded. He was survived by his wife Sarah; son Adam; and daughters, Ann, Sarah and Elizabeth.
Adam and Sarah and some of their children were buried in the Lynnhaven Church cemetery. When the Lynnhaven River changed course, the cemetery and the remains of the church were engulfed by water. A Colonial Dames XVII marker near the church site states that the founder of Lower Norfolk County is buried under the waters off shore.
First Mississippi Company Descendants of Adam Thorowgood: Pandra Kay Parker, Carl Haring, Hannah Sharp
Twentieth in a series of biographical sketches on Burgesses whose descendants belong to the First Mississippi Company; in honor of the 400th anniversary of the July 30, 1619, meeting of the first representative governmental body in America at the 1617 Church on Jamestown Island.
Captain Edmund Scarburgh (Scarborough) was born in 1584 in North Walsham County, Norfolk, England. The Scarborough family originated in Yorkshire in a town named Scarborough on the North Sea dating back to the Anglo-Saxon period. Captain Scarburgh was graduated from Caius College of Cambridge University, becoming a barrister and later an army captain.
In 1621 he emigrated to the Eastern Shore of Virginia, but did not bring his family to the New World until 1628. He served as the first Justice of Accomack and as a Burgess in the General Assembly in 1629, 1631, and 1632. He died in 1635.
Although Edmund Scarburgh had been well educated in England and became a leader in Virginia politics, his two sons—Charles and Edmund—were perhaps even more successful and better known.
Sir Charles Scarborough returned to England, where he became a mathematician and member of the Royal College of Physicians. He served as the court physician to King Charles II, the Duke of York (later King James II), King William III and Queen Mary II, and Prince George of Denmark.
Colonel Edmund Scarburgh, Captain Scarburgh’s other son, was a very wealthy and powerful leader in Accomack County. He owned thousands of acres of land in Virginia and Maryland, becoming known as the largest individual landholder in the colony at one time. He was called “Conjurer Scarborough,” a name attesting to his power and unscrupulousness.
The spelling of the “Scarborough” name was changed to “Scarburgh” in America.
First Mississippi Company Descendant of Edmund Scarborough: Donna Davis Lane
Captain John Pinkard, Mariner and Merchant, was born about 1630 in Northamptonshire, England and was the first member of his family to come to the colonies. Northumberland County, Virginia records verify that Captain Pinkard lived in that county with his first wife and daughter Rebecca, who was born in Virginia. Proof of the father-daughter relationship between Captain John Pinkard and Rebecca, wife of Charles Sallard, is found in the Lancashire County, Virginia Court Order Book 3, 1691-1695, p. 182, where this statement appears: "Upon the petition of Charles Sallarad as marrieing Rebecca Pinckard, one of the daughters of Captain John Pinckard, (dec’d)."
The name of the first wife of Captain John Pinkard and Rebecca's mother is unknown. Other children from this marriage were named in Captain John Pinkard’s will, dated 12 Mar 1689, including three sons: John, Thomas, and James. This will also mentions, without naming them, other sons and daughters. Pinkard’s will demonstrates his fairness in the distribution of his property among his children: "They shall share and share alike."
Little is known about all of John Pinkard's children, but his daughter Rebecca married Charles Sallard about 1691 before moving to Cecil County, Maryland. Their son, Simon Sallard, was born there in 1700. Rebecca apparently died shortly after his birth. Charles Sallard died in Cecil County, Maryland after 28 August 1710.
Captain John Pinkard was in Northumberland when he purchased 500 acres in Wicco Parish, recorded 3 Jul 1677. In 1680, he sold that land and moved into Lancaster County. He was well respected by his neighbors as he was elected to serve as a member of the House of Burgesses from Lancaster County in 1688.
Before moving to Lancaster County, John Pinkard’s first wife died; he married a second time in Northumberland County. According to Adventures of Purse and Persons Pinkard’s second wife was Sarah, the widow of Thomas Gaskins II, who died in 1675/76. Sarah died within four years of her marriage to John Pinkard. “On 21 Jan 1679/80 John Taylor, Henry Mayse, Josias Gascoyne [Gaskins] and Henry Gascoyne, in behalf of the orphans of Thomas Gascoyne [Gaskins] dec’d. in a suit against John Pinkard, who had married the widow of Thomas Gascoyne, for custody of the five children of Thomas Gascoyne, were successful and the court order the children to be delivered to them,” (Vol. II, 4th edition, p. 55).
John Pinkard was a good steward of his property and assets. At his death in 1690, an extensive estate inventory included silver, silver plate, lace, furniture, and many other valuables uncommon in the colony at that time.
First Mississippi Company Descendants of John Pinkard: Dr. Charles Edward Moore, Sr.; Dr. Charles Edward Moore, Jr.; Matthew Martin Moore; Charles Edward Moore, III; William Hamilton Moore; and Meredith Thompson Moore
To Our Authors