Thirty-first in a series of biographical sketches of qualifying ancestors of the Jamestowne Society whose descendants belong to the First Mississippi Company
William Ball was born in 1615, studied law in London and served in the Royal Army in the Civil Wars under Charles I. With the regicide in 1650, he lost the greater part of his English estates and fled to Virginia.
He had married Hannah Atherall (Atherold) 2 July 1638 in London and immigrated to Virginia with his wife and three children--Hannah, Joseph, and William. He did not apply for a land grant in Virginia for eight years, waiting for the restoration of the 1660 Stuart kings. He settled in Narrow Neck (now Ball Point) on the west side of the Corrotoman River in 1663. Ball operated the vessel Merchant between England and Virginia as a tobacco merchant.
He acquired 2000 acres in Virginia, served on an Indian peace-treaty council, and administered Lancaster County affairs as a Colonel. He built a Georgian mansion, Millenbeck, and led the defense of the county to help quell Bacon’s Rebellion. One of his land grants for 300 acres adjoined the land of Daniel Fox, who married his daughter Hannah. He was a Warden of Christ Church in Lancaster and also owned land in Rappahannock County.
He served as a Burgess from 1699-1173 and was George Washington’s great grandfather.
He died at Millenbeck in 1680 and left his estate to his wife and two sons.
FMC Descendants of William Ball: Jane Tatum, Fredrick William Lewis III, and Fredrick William Lewis IV.
Thomas Owsley, the fourth child and third son of Rev. John Owsley and his wife Dorothea Poyntz, was born 11 June 1658 at Stoke-Coursey (now Stogursey), Somersetshire, England and was baptized there at St. Andrew's Church on 11 July. The entry of his baptism was written in the hand of his father who was serving as church rector.
Thomas had arrived in the Colony of Virginia by 1677. During the next three years he seems to have traveled several times between England and the Colonies. It was during one such journey, in 1679, that he was taken prisoner by Algerian pirates and was ransomed by the villagers of Glooston, the parish in Leicestershire, England where his father was then serving as rector. This event was recorded in the Register of Glooston Parish which states "July 28, 1679: To redeem Thomas, son of Mr. Owsley, Rector of Glooston, taken by the 'Algerines,' the sum of 1.11.3 was collected."
By 1680, at the age of only 22 years, he held the position of Clerk of the Stafford County Court, a position he held when he died in 1700. In 1681/82, he was authorized to traffic in a variety of commodities with the Nantecoke Indians of Maryland. In the next twenty years, Thomas would also serve as Justice of the Peace, a captain of the Potomac Rangers (1692), a major in the county militia (1698/99), Sheriff of Stafford County (1696) and was twice elected to the Virginia House of Burgesses (1692-1696 and 1698).
Thomas's land patents, totaling over 2000 acres, were in the Northern Neck of Virginia, including some on the shore of the Potomac River.
Major Thomas Owsley died 10 October 1700 in Stafford County and was buried there on his plantation, now located on the Fort Belvoir Military Reservation, in what is now Fairfax County. The exact date of his death is known from a 1748 survey map on which is noted his grave and the comment "Owsly buryd there, as by a tomb stone, he dyed October ye 10th 1700."
About 1680, Thomas married Ann Harris, apparently the only child of Lieutenant William Harris, a former British Army officer who was in Stafford County in the 1660s, and whose will of 1698 left all of his land to his Owsley grandchildren. About 1703, Ann was married to John West, by whom she had two sons (Hugh, John), and after his death, married for the third time in 1718 to John Wheeler. From the death of Thomas Owsley in 1700 until 1739, Ann Owsley West Wheeler is often mentioned in land records, indicating that Ann survived Thomas by many years.
Thomas Owsley left six children: Jane, who married James Gregg and had four sons (Thomas, James, Matthew, John) and four daughters (Lucy, Sarah, Lettice, Jemima); Ann, who married Isaac Kent and had at least one son (Isaac); Mary, of whom nothing is known; Thomas, who married 1) Ann, by whom he had one son (Thomas), and 2) Ann Hudson, by whom he had six sons (Thomas, John, William, Newdigate, Poyntz, Weldon) and four daughters (Sarah, Ann, Elizabeth, Jane); Poyntz, of whom nothing further is known; and Sarah, of whom nothing further is known.
First Mississippi Company Member: Susan Clark Slaymaker
Arthur, the son of William and Susannah (Burnet) Mosely, was born in about 1636 in Delft, Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands, and came to Virginia with his parents in 1649 at age 13. His portrait, painted when Arthur was age 10 or 11 by an unknown artist in Rotterdam, was brought to America by the family. The actual portrait, missing since the early 1900’s, shows him with dark eyes and hair. His father, who owned a plantation on the Elizabeth River, died in 1655, leaving Arthur his plantation and property on Broad Creek, where Arthur lived until he moved to Norfolk town in 1690.
Arthur married twice and possibly a third time, and which of his eleven children belong to each wife is not known. The children by his first wife, Sarah Joan Hancock, whom he married about 1600, may have been the mother of Arthur (c. 1661 - c. 1728), William (c. 1663 - c. 1714), Edward (c. 1667 -1715), George (c. 1671 - 1718), Susanna (c. 1673 - c. 1700), and Mary Ann (c. 1674 - c. 1722). When Sarah Moseley died between 1665 and 1677, Arthur married Anne Hargrave before June 5, 1678. Anne Hargrave Moseley was probably the mother of five children: Joseph (1680 - 1712/13), Benjamin (1682 - 1717), Amos (c. 1685 - after 1746), Anthony (c. 1689 - c. 1735), and Luke (1690 - 1742). Arthur Moseley’s will, dated 1 Feb 1700 and proved in 1702, mentions not only all the children above but also Benjamin, Arthur, George and Amos. Arthur's damaged will does not list his children chronologically, making it difficult to place each wife with her children.
In 1676 at the time of Bacon’s Rebellion, Arthur became a Burgess for Lower Norfolk, was licensed to keep an Ordinary in Norfolk Town, and appears to have served intermittently as a justice of the peace for many years. Before 17 Sep 1692, he was forced to become a naturalized British citizen to make the titles for his land, originally purchased while he was an alien, official.
The Moseley's were one of the most prominent families in Virginia in the 17th century and owned what was, perhaps, the largest and most interesting collection of (family) portraits in Virginia.
First Mississippi Company Descendant of Arthur Moseley: Charles David Hill
Twenty-eighth in a series of biographical sketches whose descendants belong to the First Mississippi Company; in honor of the 400th anniversary of the July 30, 1619, meeting of the first representative governmental body in America at the 1617 Church on Jamestown Island
Edward Dale (--d. 1694) was a loyalist who emigrated to Virginia after the death of King Charles I of England. Dale settled on the north side of the Rappahannock River in Lancaster County in 1655 and served as clerk of the county for nineteen years, justice of the county court for fourteen years, high sheriff for four years, and as a member of the Houses of Burgesses for two years.
Dale represented Lancaster County as a member of a committee that laid a levy on the citizens of the Northern Neck to raise forces for the suppression of Bacon’s rebellion. He acquired 3,400 acres in Lancaster County but did little farming, as he represented himself as a “Gentleman” in his deeds and other papers.
Dale’s wife was Diana, daughter of Sir Henry Skipwith and his wife Amy, from Leicestershire, England. Edward and Diana Dale had two daughters: Katherine, who married Thomas Carter of Lancaster County; and, Elizabeth who married Williams Rodgers.
Major Edward Dale wrote his will 4 Aug 1694, leaving his daughter Elizabeth Rodgers twelve pounds with no claim on his estate. His wife Diana received the profit of his entire estate during her lifetime. His grandchildren from his daughter Katherine Carter (Peter, Joseph, Elizabeth, and Catherine) were to receive the residue of his estate divided equally after Peter and Joseph received equal portions of his home plantation. Dale’s will was probated 16 Mar 1695. Dale’s original will and other papers disappeared from the clerk’s office at Lancaster Court House; but his son-in-law Thomas Carter sealed his will in 1700 with a seal bearing the crest of the Dales of Northampton and London. This authenticity of this seal proves that the will is that of Edward Dale.
A three-quarter length portrait of Edward Dale handed down in the Carter family was in Chicago at the end of the Civil War in the possession of Colonial Thomas Carter, but was lost in the great Chicago fire. A copy of this portrait is owned by Dr. Joseph Lyon Miller of Thomas, West Virginia. The portrait shows the powdered-wig Dale as a portly brown-eyed gentleman dressed in a black velvet coat with a red waistcoat and cream-colored satin breeches.
Dale held strong opinions and frequently was the only dissenting voice from the rulings of the other Justices of the Lancaster County Court. He is also known for transgressing from the Virginia law of hospitality: when a traveling stranger was invited to dine with Dale, the stranger offered a long puritanical prayer at dinner asking blessings for Oliver Cromwell and curses for King Charles II. Dale ordered the man from his home and told him to find dinner elsewhere.
First Mississippi Company Descendant of Edward Dale: Charles David Hill
Twenty-seventh in a series of biographical sketches whose descendants belong to the First Mississippi Company; in honor of the 400th anniversary of the July 30, 1619, meeting of the first representative governmental body in America at the 1617 Church on Jamestown Island
Henry Soane II (1622-1661) is believed to have been born 17 Nov 1622 in Brighton, Sussex, England. He was the son of Henry Soane I and Elizabeth Worger. Henry Soan II married Judith Fuller, born 17 Nov 1620 in East Sussex England. He emigrated with her and their children to Virginia around 1651. They had six children: Elizabeth Soane Peterson, Judith Soane Field, Captain Henry Soane III, Katherine, John, and one other. Through his daughter Judith Field, Henry Soane II became the great, great grandfather of President Thomas Jefferson.
Henry was a Virginia politician and land owner. He lived on Hoggs Island, in Accomack County and settled in James City County along the Chickahominy River. In November 1653, Henry Soane received a patent for 297 acres in James City County on Hoggs Island for transporting six persons: himself, Henry Soane, Jr., Judith Soane, John Soane and Eliza. Altogether, Soane acquired 8500 acres of land in Virginia, mostly for transporting 56 more people to the colony. In 1655, he received permission to employ two Indians.
He served in the House of Burgesses from 1652-1654 and from 1658-1661. He was Speaker of the House of Burgesses in 1661.
First Mississippi Company Descendant of Henry Soane II: Charles David Hill
Twenty-sixth in a series of biographical sketches whose descendants belong to the First Mississippi Company; in honor of the 400th anniversary of the July 30, 1619, meeting of the first representative governmental body in America at the 1617 Church on Jamestown Island
Born in Henrico County about 1647, Peter Field married Judith Soane Randolph, the widow of Henry Randolph, on 21 Oct 1678 in Charles City County, VA. Judith, born about 1646 in England, was the daughter of Henry Soane II and Judith Fuller who emigrated to Virginia about 1651.
Peter named his home in Henrico County Curtis Plantation, located on the James River. According to the 1678 levy, he was assessed with seven tithables. The children of Peter and Judith Soane Field were Mary Field Jefferson (1679-1715) and Martha Field Archer (1680/81-1776). Peter became the Justice of the Peace in Henrico County (1683-85, 1688, 1691, 1692, 1695, 1696, 1699, 1704, 1705) and also served as a major in the colonial militia, as the High Sheriff of Henrico in 1682, and as a Burgess from Henrico in 1688 and 1693.
Peter was the guardian of Henry Randolph II, child born to Henry Randolph I and Judith Soane Randolph, now wife of Peter Field. On 1 Apr 1681, Peter Field entered into a law suit with Robert Marr and Evan Bellenger concerning land boundaries as the guardian of Henry Randolph II.
In a letter dated 1 Aug 1694, Peter refers to William Soane has his “brother,” meaning brother-in-law. Peter Field moved to New Kent County shortly before he died, where his death was recorded as 24 July 1707 in the New Kent Parish Register with his burial on 29 July.
On 1 Mar 1708/09 there is a deed recorded from Thomas Jefferson and his wife Mary, daughter of Major Peter Field, late of New Kent. And in August 1711, there is a deed from John Archer and Martha, his wife, to William Randolph for 961 acres left to Martha by the will of Peter Field, gentleman.
First Mississippi Company Descendant of Peter Field: Charles David Hill
Richard Cocke (1597-1665) was born at Pickthorn, Stottesdon, Shropshire, England and was in Virginia by 24 Dec 1627. On this date, Cocke appeared in court in Jamestown where he testified as the purser of the Thomas and John that four of Mr. Sharples’s men had run away while being transported to Virginia. He appeared in court again on 10 Feb 1629 as the attorney for Patrick Canada, who was seeking ownership of Thomas Hunter’s estate.
Although by 1632 Cocke had married the widow (1) Temperance Bailey Browne, Cocke had to pay a fee of 6,397 pounds of tobacco to settle Browne’s estate. Temperance Baley [Bailey], the mother of Browne’s two daughters Mary and Margaret, was born in VA in 1617 and is listed on the Muster of 1624/25 as a member of Cecily Jordan’s household in Jordan’s Jordan. Cecily Jordan, identified as an ancient planter in a 1620 patent, is thought to be Temperance’s mother by an early marriage to a man named Bailey. The two sons of Temperance and Richard Cocke were Thomas and Richard, who later became known as Richard the Elder.
After Temperance’s death, Richard Cocke married (2) Mary Aston, daughter of Walter Aston; the couple had another son named Richard (known as Richard the Younger), Elizabeth, John, William, and Edward.
Richard Cocke became an important figure in VA, acquiring 10,916 acres of land, principally in Henrico County but also in Surry County where he first lived in the 1630s. He named his three homes Bremo, Curles, and Malvern Hill. He also served as a Burgess, first in 1632 representing Weyanoke and then Henrico from 1644 to 1654. He was a Colonel of the local militia and a court justice.
Among Cocke’s prominent descendants are Robert E. Lee, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, George H. W. Bush, and George W. Bush.
First Mississippi Company Descendant of Richard Cocke: Charles David Hill
Twenty-fourth in a series of biographical sketches whose descendants belong to the First Mississippi Company; in honor of the 400th anniversary of the July 30, 1619, meeting of the first representative governmental body in America at the 1617 Church on Jamestown Island
Thomas Harris (1586-c. 1649) Henrico County, VA
Thomas Harris, an ancient planter and inhabitant of Virginia listed on the 1624-25 Muster, arrived on the Prosperous in May 1611 with a group brought by Sir Thomas Dale to establish a settlement in Henricus. On 18 Nov 1618, Harris was granted 100 acres as an Ancient Planter at Neck of Land and is listed in the Muster at Charles City as age 38 with his first wife Adria (Hoare), age 23.
Thomas Harris and Adria were married in Virginia, as she had come to America in 1621 on the Marmaduke. Thomas acquired another 650 acres of land for the transportation of 13 persons to the colony and another 400 acres by inheritance. Harris also acquired the 700 acres known as Longfield that belonged to his neighbors, Edward and Ann Gurganey, when Ann Gurganey bequeathed the land to Harris in her 1619/20 will; this land was patented in his name in 1637.
Harris was elected as a Burgess for Neck of Land in 1624 and for Henrico in 1640, 1647-48. He also served as a Commissioner for the “Upper Parts,” land which included Henrico, and as the Commander of Henrico County. After the death of his wife Adria, he married the widow of William Vincent, Joane, who was five years his senior. The only children of Thomas Harris were by his first wife Adria: Mary and William. Mary married Thomas Ligon, and William inherited Longfield in his father’s will, made about 1649 but now lost.
Thomas Ligon (1623/4-1675/76) Henrico County, VA
Thomas Ligon, the eldest son of Thomas Ligon (c. 1577-1626) and Elizabeth Pratt (1602-1631) was baptized at Walsgrave-on-Sowe, Warwickshire 11 Jan 1623/4. He immigrated to Virginia in the 1640s and settled at Henrico County. He married Mary Harris, daughter of Captain Thomas Harris, of Henrico County before 1649. Mary stated in a deposition given in 1684 that she was 64 years of age, making her birth year about 1620. The couple had five sons: Thomas, William, Richard, Matthew, and Hugh; and two daughters: Johan (wife of Robert Hancock) and Mary.
Thomas, the immigrant, served as a member of the House of Burgesses for Henrico in 1656, was a lieutenant colonel in the militia, and was a surveyor of Henrico County until his death in 1675/76. Lt. Colonel Thomas Ligon left a will (now lost), dated 10 Jan 1675/76 and proved 16 March 1675/76, in Henrico County, Virginia. His widow Mary Harris Ligon gave her brother the “whole profits of the surveyor’s place” by an agreement recorded 1 Nov 1679 until her eldest son should become of age. In Mary Ligon’s will, dated 18 April 1702/3 and proved 1 Feb. 1703/4 in Henrico County, she left sons Richard Ligon and Hugh Ligon 200 acres lying in Curles, Henrico County, being part of the land given to her by her father, Captain Thomas Harris.
First Mississippi Company descendant of Thomas Ligon and Thomas Harris: Charles Hill
Neither the parents nor the birthplace of Colonel James Wilson is known, but it is believed the family came from England or Scotland to Virginia about 1650, first to Jamestowne and then to Norfolk County. Col. James Wilson was born about 1648 and married Elizabeth, who may have been the daughter of John Willis. His first land purchase was likely 300 acres in Norfolk County, bought in 1672 from his brother, Col. William Wilson (1646-1713), who served as a Burgess from Elizabeth City County from 1684-1695 and 1700-1702. William also served as a justice and sheriff of that county.
Col. James Wilson was a justice in Norfolk County in 1693 and Presiding Justice by 1710 until his death in 1712. He was sheriff, 1695-1697. In 1699 he was a major in the Norfolk County militia and by 1702 had been promoted to colonel. He served in the House of Burgesses in 1698, 1702-05 and 1710-12. In 1701 he served as the Crown Feofee (Trustee) for the sale of lands in Norfolk. He was listed in the 1704 quit rent rolls as holding 2800 acres. He also served as the churchwarden of Elizabeth River Parish. His will was dated 12 Nov 1712 and probated 19 Dec 1712.
The ten children of Colonel James Wilson and his wife Elizabeth are as follows: (1) Thomas (b. abt. 1669; d. bef. 15 Sep 1696), wed Isabella Burgess; they had one child, James (b. abt 1691; d. 1718), who was named in Col. James’ Will. (2) James, Jr. (b. 1671; d. bef. Feb 1756), married Prudence Butt, daughter of Thomas & Elizabeth, who had 13 children. After her death, he married Grace Phillips who died childless. He then wed Dinah Nicholson, who bore three daughters. He was a major in the militia and Norfolk County Court Justice 54 years, 1702-1756. (3) Elizabeth (b. abt. 1673; d. May 1741), married Henry Tregany, Jr., mariner of Philadelphia. (4) Lemuel (b. abt. 1675; d. 1731), married Katherine and was captain in the militia and County Court Clerk, 1699-1718. (5) John (b. abt. 1677; d. bef. 4 Jun 1728), wed Margaret and was sheriff in 1719, captain in the militia and Norfolk County Justice 1723. (6) Samuel (b. abt. 1680; d. bef. 3 Jan 1710/11), married Dinah Mason, widow of Capt. Robert Thorowgood and had one son, Willis Wilson. (7) Willis (b. abt. 1683; d. 1760), married Mary Chichester. He was executor with his mother, Elizabeth, of his father’s Will. He was a County Court Justice in 1713, sheriff in 1724 and 1732, a major in the militia and a Burgess 1718 and 1720-22. (8) Affiah (b. 1689; d. aft. 30 May 1753), married Capt. George Newton in 1706 and had nine children. (9) Solomon (b. abt. 1694; d. abt 1775), wed Tabitha Mason, and they had 5 children. He served as County Court Clerk 1718-1751 and major in the militia. (10) Mary (b. abt. 1697; d. bef. May 1772) wed Nathaniel Butt, son of Thomas & Elizabeth Butt.
First Mississippi Company Descendant of James Wilson: Admiral Thomas Gerald Lilly
Twenty-second in a series of biographical sketches on Burgesses whose descendants belong to the First Mississippi Company; in honor of the 400th anniversary of the July 30, 1619, meeting of the first representative governmental body in America at the 1617 Church on Jamestown Island.
John Washington, the great grandfather of George Washington, the first President of the United States, was the son of Reverend Lawrence Washington and born about 1631 in England; he came to Virginia in 1656.
John’s interest in importing tobacco from Virginia to England brought him to America, for he owned a one-half interest in a ship named the Sea Horse with a business partner, Edward Prescott. Their ship, loaded with tobacco bound for England, ran aground on a sandbar in the Potomac River and sank in 1657. Before it could be raised, repaired and readied to sail again, Washington had decided to stay in Virginia. However, Prescott said John owed money for half of the damages, and Nathaniel Pope, who had befriended Washington, offered him a bond in the form of beaver pelts, making Washington indebted to Pope.
Washington married Nathaniel Pope’s daughter, Anne, in 1658. When Pope died in 1660, his will cancelled Washington's debt. The 700 acres of land deeded to him when he married Anne gave him the start he needed in Virginia.
By 1660, he had carved out a large estate in Westmoreland County and served as vestryman of Appomattox Parish in 1661, Justice of the Peace in 1662, and Major of the militia in 1662. Eventually. he rose to the rank of Lt. Colonel and was elected to the House of Burgesses, serving first in 1666 and then in 1675-1676 for Westmoreland County.
By 1668 Colonel Washington was busy growing tobacco on holdings that exceeded 5,000 acres, and Anne had presented him with five children, of whom three would live to maturity. That same year Anne died and soon thereafter he married a second time to another Anne by whom he had no children. Late in 1675 his second wife died and he married for the third time Frances, the daughter of Dr. Thomas Gerard. She had previously been married to Colonel Thomas Speke, Captain John Appleton and Colonel Valentine Peyton.
During Bacon’s rebellion in the summer and fall of 1676, Washington’s estate was plundered and was temporarily seized by Bacon’s supporters.
The approximate date of his death can be determined by his attendance at a meeting about taxes in 1677. His will was admitted to probate on 26 September 1677. His estate consisted of more than 8,500 acres.
Colonel John and Anne (Pope) Washington left three surviving children: (1) Lawrence born 1659 who married 1st unknown and 2nd Mildred Warner; (2) Anne born ca. 1661 who married Francis Wright; and (3) John Jr. born ca. 1663 who married Anne Wickliffe.
First Mississippi Company Descendants of John Washington: Christopher Charles Rankin Arinder, Lannye Olivia Bridewell Arinder, Elizabeth Barrett Arinder Cooper
To Our Contributors
We welcome properly researched contributions of ancestor profiles, vignettes and comments from members that focus on their ancestors’ roles in Jamestown’s history, plus other aspects of their lives, events and experiences in the colony. PLEASE NOTE that all information must be documented and backed up by primary source documents, and not unverifiable information and family and urban legends. Submissions without this backup may be rejected. Please limit contributions and blog entries solely to the ancestors themselves, and do not include subsequent lineage information. Entries should be no more than 400 words.